Thursday, August 25, 2011

10 years ago


on a very hot day we were standing in front of the church, listening to the bells ringing, sourrounded by friends and family. We were a little nervous. We were getting married.

As you can tell, this is going to be a somewhat cheesy post. If you're just looking for a recipe, come back another day. Because today is our 10-year anniversary.

A few years before that, in 1997, I was taking a class in political science. It was the beginning of the semester and I didn't really expect anything exciting to happen. I was sitting there, looking around the room at all the students who were with me in class. Again, nothing exciting. My major was communications and this class was just going to be something I needed to do, something so unbelievably boring. Or so I thought. Weeks later we were divided into groups and assigned topics to work on. Oh great, study groups with people you needed to explain the basics to. Then this guy showed up, saying he was in my study group and willing to actually do part of the work.




The rest, they say, is history. We keep joking that I didn't see him that first day of class because that was before he cut his hair - it was shoulder length at he time (mind if I share a picture, honey? Just kidding).

I absolutely didn't want to admit it and was fighting it as hard as I could, but it was love at first sight. So cheesy, I know. But true. He didn't give up. He walked with me to the subway station although his car was parked at the other end of the campus, saying that he needed to pick up a book for his brother at the bookstore near the station. Yeah right.

We missed a lot of classes that year. Ahh, the good old days!

These days our lifes are a lot more chaotic, but they're still filled with a lot of love. Five years ago we went to the same restaurant where we celebrated on the day we got married. I was very, very pregnant and hoping the little guy would stay in there at least for my wedding anniversary and my birthday a few days later. He did. I remember sitting there having a nice, quiet dinner together (the last nice and quiet one for quite a while obviously) and making plans to go back for the 10 year anniversary with our then soon to be five-year-old boy.

So today we'll go there again, with our almost five-year-old plus his little brother. 10 years ago, standing in front of the church, I never thought life could be even better or be this good. But it is, every day. Thank you my darling for making it so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't know about you, but I love reading comments. That's a hint for you to leave one, btw. Not that I'm begging here. But I do love hearing from you...