Friday, November 18, 2011

I can't believe I made a yarn wreath!

Just a quick one today because I'm off baking cookies. I told you in this post about wanting to try making yarn wreaths. I came across yarn wreaths a while ago. It's one of those things that are hard to overlook when you browse blogs or Pinterest for a few minutes. I loved them. So I ordered one from the fabulous Katie at heartfelt yarn wreaths. Loved it even more. (I'll show you pictures once my driveway is finally done and I can hang it on my front door without it being exposed to that construction zone that is the front of my house).


Then I saw this tutorial from Dani at klitzeklein. Hmmmmmm..... wrapping yarn around..... hmmmmmmm... looks like maybe even I could do this. And even though I took Dani's suggestion about using thick felt wool, supplies really weren't expensive. So I tried it. With a styrofoam base and this great, high-quality felt wool.

And now look at that!



Now I understand if you don't get as excited as I am about this. Really. But you see, I am just not good at crafting. Especially not with anything that is related to using wool. Past attempts at knitting have been, uh, let's just say not quite successful (more like total failure). But this turned out really well. Not like Katie's, but still really, really pretty.



I made a gray one with gray and red flowers for my mom, and an cream one with gray and red flowers for my mother-in-law (just don't have any pictures of that because I hadn't finished that at the time I took the photos). Took me a good half hour to wrap each wreath (in front of the TV, no less) and some more time to make the felt flowers and glue them on.

I'm not quite sure about the glue part yet - I know I should be using hot glue, but frankly I was too lazy to go get it from the basement. So I used fabric glue, which worked fine on the flowers because the pointed tip gets into every nook. Not so sure if it's strong enough to affix the flowers to the wreath though, so I might have to reinforce that.




Still, I love them. For a total of less than 5 EUR each I got a Christmas present that I'm actually having a hard time giving away. I might have to make a few more... hmmmmm.... I did see some more flower tutorials that I'd like to try.... they would have go on something, right?

Happy weekend!
Swenja

1 comment:

  1. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! I've been wanting to make one of these since LAST Christmas. You've inspired me. :)
    Congrats on getting it done.
    Love from,
    Greta

    ReplyDelete

I don't know about you, but I love reading comments. That's a hint for you to leave one, btw. Not that I'm begging here. But I do love hearing from you...