Monday, April 2, 2012

{kid craft} Easter garland

We're really looking forward to Easter around here. It's not so much the Easter bunny, but we're having friends over for the weekend. They have a girl in little brother's age and they spent last Easter here, too. We had so much fun we decided to make it a tradition. I love creating traditions. Besides, it's just more fun when three kids race around the yard hunting eggs. This year the Easter bunny (a.k.a. mommy) seriously hopes that the weather improves until Sunday. Brrrr.

I digress. Maybe I should stop writing posts late at night? Anyhow.



Since we're having friends over for Easter, the kids were actually quite motivated to decorate the house a bit. Last Monday we sat on the porch in the sun and cut out bunnies. Well, that was the plan at least. It sounded good. Enjoying the sunshine, happily cutting out some bunnies.

I should have known that it wouldn't work. Big brother cut one, very, uhm, fuzzy bunny.


Little brother cut the butt off the bunny. Then they went off to the sandbox. And mommy tried cutting out the rest of the bunnies. Chasing them across the yard, because of course it started to get windy. 





Eventually I got tired of chasing yellow (of course) bunnies around. So we switched to using an oval punch and white paper. Close enough to eggs, if you ask me.



Then little brother got sick and the weather turned cold. We stayed at home mostly. Turned down a party invite. Sigh. Thursday I worked from home. In the afternoon we made our bunnies and eggs into a garland.


We hung one across our dining room lamps.


But mostly we did two for the windows. Because that was what little brother wanted. And although the fever eventually went down a bit, he wasn't sleeping or eating well. And he was very, very cranky. Ugh. That lasted until Sunday morning. I still don't know what it was, a bug or the shots he got for his 3-year check-up on Monday night. Oh well.




We like them. Oh, the template is from here. I pulled out the box with Easter decorations from the basement and it's still sitting here, unopened. With our egg carton flowers and the clay ornaments plus the garland, we're pretty much set.

How about you?

Have a great week,
Swenja

3 comments:

  1. Wie schöööön, ich bin ganz begeistert!

    Ich wünsche Euch auch wundervolle Ostern,
    Renaade

    ReplyDelete
  2. pleaaaase tell me: what is that little sort of house you have in oyur yard? Is it, could it be, maybe, just maybe.... a little house for the boys????
    xo
    clau

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, that's their playhouse. The upstairs part came with a kit, but since little brother was well, little at the time my dad and my husband built ground floor, too. It's got a little kitchen inside. We still have to furnish the second floor - I'm thinking office maybe. Or pirate's hideaway? Mad scientist lab? We'll see.

      Love,
      Swenja

      Delete

I don't know about you, but I love reading comments. That's a hint for you to leave one, btw. Not that I'm begging here. But I do love hearing from you...