Thursday, June 7, 2012

Visiting yesterday's Bavaria

By now we're back home, but I still have plenty of photos to share. Well, once I get them all off my camera, sorted and edited, that is. Here's the first batch.

We went to the Open Air Museum Glentleiten, and I have to say it's one of the best museums I've seen, with a lovely attention to detail and set in a simply gorgeous landscape.

This is one of my favorite photos - a simple, potted geranium (technically it's a pelargonium, because a geranium is a different type of plant and one of my favorites, and it sort of drives me crazy that everyone is calling this a geranium, but I guess I'm guilty, too now). I love that this is timeless - it could have been sitting in front of that old farmhouse a hundred years ago and you still see these plants on balconies across Bavaria these days.


This is the view from the museum. Gorgeous, isn't it? We had funny weather that day, ranging from sunshine to a thunderstorm that we could watch coming near and going across the mountains. It's amazing how much closer you are to nature in the mountains, isn't it?


So we went off exploring the many farmhouses on display. There are over 60 historic buildings that have been taken down in their original locations and rebuild on the museum grounds. 


This is what my favorite house looked like inside. It's from 1597 and this is one of the bedrooms. The house was lived in until 1981, and it never got connected to electricity. Can you imagine?


There are not only farmhouses, but a few pre-industrial buildings, too, like this mill.


Any water coming yet?


Where did the fish go?


I love these flowers. Ah, the flowers in Bavaria... I have almost more flower photos than of mountain views.


This is what life 100 years ago looked like.




This is my favorite kitchen, from a farmhouse somewhat bigger.


This is the best shot I could get of a little heart-shaped cutout in the wooden walls and the view of the sunny flowers outside. Apparently I do need to learn more about photography!


Time for something sweet and some homemade elderflower lemonade before heading back.


We really had a great time and the kids had so much fun running around and exploring.

It's been back to preschool, errand running and laundry mountain conquering for us this week, but I'll try to share some more photos over the next week or so.

Thanks for stopping by,
Swenja

1 comment:

  1. Lovely. Those downy comforters, perfectly fluffed, are calling my name. Isn't it time for a nap?

    ReplyDelete

I don't know about you, but I love reading comments. That's a hint for you to leave one, btw. Not that I'm begging here. But I do love hearing from you...